Loading Selected Work...
Menu

surrender to wonder

A road trip with a bunch of photographer friends can be a gamble but when my good friend Dorothy Brown asked what I was doing following ART in Missoula, I sprung into planning mode. A few weeks later, the house in West Yellowstone was booked along with the mini-van with enough room for five of us and all our gear. Along for the ride were Stuart Sipahigil and Ellie Ericson with Ray Ketcham at the wheel. This was the first time we’ve traveled together as a group and hopefully it won’t be the last. Credit for the title of this post goes to Dorothy. Her enthusiasm for everything around us was infectious. Even Ray couldn’t resist making a few landscapes 🙂

You’ve no doubt seen a ton of photographs from Yellowstone National Park and to be honest by the time Day 2 rolled around I felt like I was done photographing. Although there were less people around the park than there are in the summer, it still felt a bit mechanical making photographs at every stop. Someone once told me that you don’t make anything really good unless you are out on your own and I believe that’s true. That doesn’t mean I didn’t come home with some images that I like; I did. Mostly because I have warm memories attached to them along with a few funny taglines.

“Wait a minute! You said we were going to have fun!”

“Wonders, wonders.”

“Damn you Dorothy Brown!”

“Nailed it!”

Enjoy the show…

18 Comments

1. Brian Miller
    October 17, 2013

Nice! 🙂

• Sabrina
      October 17, 2013

Thanks Brian…

2. Sue
    October 17, 2013

Beautiful! How fun! I’m jealous! I need to come into a ton of cash so everyone is taken care of and I can come travel and have fun with you guys!!!! One day…..

• Sabrina
      October 17, 2013

One day soon please! Traveling with you would be SO much fun it would almost be criminal 😉 Actually we would probably need bail money…

3. Ed
    October 17, 2013

Very nice! And a great exclamation point to end on!

• Sabrina
      October 17, 2013

Thanks Ed…wish you could have been there with us 🙁

4. Stuart Sipahigil
    October 17, 2013

You forgot one.

“Damn you, Dorothy Brown,” 🙂

• Sabrina
      October 17, 2013

Sheesh, how could I have forgotten that?!? It’s there now thanks Stu!

5. Dorothy Brown
    October 17, 2013

Wonders, indeed. And wonderful to see Yellowstone for the first time in such great company. I love these images, Sabrina. We had fun, didn’t we?

• Sabrina
      October 18, 2013

It was fun Dorothy! I hope we can travel again some time soon…just waiting for one of those wonderful emails from you, those that are the start of sometime really special 😉

6. Ellie
    October 19, 2013

You forgot another…. “I am one with the button”…. 😉

• Sabrina
      October 19, 2013

Oh yes that one too! 😀

7. Monte Stevens
    October 19, 2013

Last month I made an 11 day road trip through the Colorado Plateau as a tourist. I shot mostly from the same places the tourist from Japan or Europe will shoot from. I’d never been to some of these National Parks so my intent was just to see them, experience them. It is the wonder of nature that touched my soul.

• Sabrina
      October 19, 2013

Monte, that sounds like a marvelous trip for you. Collecting experiences and memories is just as important as making pictures and at times like these, even more so.

8. Domestic Executive
    October 19, 2013

These photographs take me back to almost 20 years ago when I traversed the national parks with a friend. We visited a college friend who married a Yellowstone Park ranger so we were taken to all sorts of places that tourists don’t go. It was truly wonderful. I must dig out all the photographs I took from their storage box 😮

• Sabrina
      October 19, 2013

How wonderful it must have been to see places the throngs of tourists could not! I’m curious now whether your pictures look anything like what we saw. At one of the stops, I met a man who had been coming to the park for the last 30 years and I asked how much it had changed. He said Old Faithful was not as powerful as before and there were a lot more visitors but the authorities had done a good job of maintaining the park.

9. Maureen Murphy
    October 22, 2013

The photos are beautiful Sabrina – the “Surrendering to Wonder” reminds me about a poem that begins – “I am perpetually awaiting a rebirth of wonder” by Lawrence Ferlinghetti many years ago.

The places you went are places I would love to visit someday.

10. Don Thorne
    October 22, 2013

Thanks Sabrina…long time. I like what you have shared here. Not the run of the mill, nice of you to share.

Don