Loading Selected Work...
Menu

Artist Round Table 2012

Last year Ray Ketcham led the very first Artist Round Table on “Discovering  Your Voice“. It was a bit of an experiment to re-create an experience we had when he and I first met at the Skagit Valley Tulip Festival in 2010. Little did we know the effect ART would have on the photographers who attended. Stuart Sipahigil, Ellie Ericson, Matthew Connors and Chris Plante have each written about their experience. Following ART, we received enquiries about the next ART and in September Ray made a decision to host another round table in Port Townsend in 2012. Because space at the table is limited, it soon became clear that we would need to consider holding two round tables–the first for people who were seeking to find their voice and the second for the challenges we face when we wish to use our voice. Today we are pleased to announce both of these round tables!

This time “Discovering Your Voice” will be three full days, held on May 25, 26 and 27, 2012. There will be a “meet and greet” dinner in the evening on May 24. The second round table “Raising Your Voice” will also be three full days, held on June 29, 30 and July 1, 2012 with the “meet and greet” dinner in the evening of June 28. The cost of each round table will be $325 (not including meals and accommodations).

Here is what you need to know if you are interested in attending. “Discovering Visual Voice” is a discussion on recognizing our visual voice. It doesn’t follow the traditional workshop format; it is essentially a three-day conversation with like-minded photographers who are interested in learning about the uniqueness of their own visual expression. “Raising Your Voice” is the follow-up conversation. It is about using your voice now that you’ve recognized you have one and that you know what it looks like. The topic is really what some attendees of the first round table were challenged with once they left Port Townsend. We’ve made some progress but we felt we needed to meet again and explore the idea of how do we use our voice to say something meaningful. For both of these round tables, each day will be a mix of photographing around Port Townsend, conversations with local artists and authors, and a round table discussion facilitated by Ray.

If you would like to attend either or both round tables, we are asking people to express their interest by sending an email outlining what you hope to gain from being a part of the ART and what you would bring to the discussion. Please also include a link to a portfolio of your personal work i.e. no images created while on a workshop or photo tour. If these are not available online, please let us know so that we can make other arrangements to view your portfolio. As we are keeping the number of participants to six for each round table, we will be accepting expressions of interest until February 29, 2012 after which time, a final decision will be made regarding attendees. You do not need to attend the first round table to participate in the second one however, we will be making an assessment which one is most appropriate for you based on your submission to us.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Ray or myself. We hope to see you in Port Townsend this summer!

20 Comments

1. Brian Miller
    January 2, 2012

Yay!!! I’ve got a feeling you have more than 12 people wanting to come to these…;)

• Sabrina
      January 3, 2012

LOL, maybe Brian. I am hoping to have some good minds and hearts around the tables because that will be the foundation for extraordinary conversations.

2. Charlene
    January 2, 2012

Oh boy…. really, really, really wish I was coming to one of these. Love the concept of Raising Your Voice.

All power to you guys! I wish you all the best for the 2012 ART sessions.

• Sabrina
      January 3, 2012

Thanks Charlene. I wish you could be there. Your voice at the table would be one I’d love to hear and see!

3. Maureen Murphy
    January 3, 2012

Am sorry I will be away (in Germany biking) during these two dates 🙁

• Sabrina
      January 3, 2012

That’s a really long bike ride, Maureen. Can you squeeze another trip to PT in the future perhaps? I’d love to see you there again!

4. Brian Miller
    January 3, 2012

Charlene, get on a boat now! You’ll make it in time! 😉

• Sabrina
      January 3, 2012

Like!

• Charlene
      January 4, 2012

Good idea Brian. If I left in the middle of winter here, I could arrive in the middle of summer there, and there would be hardly any temperature difference (aside from freezing my butt off at sea until we get to warmer latitudes).

Found the perfect boat route for it: http://www.freighterexpeditions.com.au/it-australia-to-west-coast-usa-in-26-days

😀

• Brian Miller
      January 6, 2012

Sounds about right. The research is clearly done; all that is left is to buy the ticket and get on board! 🙂

5. Dorothy Brown
    January 3, 2012

A top-of-the-list goal for 2012. I’m working on my application now!

• Sabrina
      January 3, 2012

Ooo, I can’t wait to hear what you have to say Dorothy!

6. A.Barlow
    January 5, 2012

I’m really diggin that old diner sign.

• Sabrina
      January 6, 2012

I really wish I could take credit for it but it’s one of Ray’s images!

7. Brian Miller
    January 6, 2012

So Sabrina, I’m just wondering if these images are of our accommodations should we decide to come? 😉

• Sabrina
      January 6, 2012

Did you read the fine print, Brian? The rate doesn’t include accommodations for a VERY good reason 🙂

8. Krista
    January 10, 2012

i wanna come! i wanna come!

9. ART and IDEA ‹ rlketcham.com
    February 20, 2012

[…] IDEA group Sabrina wrote about on her blog last week is an off-shoot of the Artist Round Tables (ART) but with a different focus. It’s along the same idea of understanding and developing voice but we […]

10. Beyond Photography :: Photography of Jacob F. Lucas | Seattle-based Landscape, Urban Architecture, & Concert Photographer
    July 3, 2013

[…] Sabrina had discussed photography with, discussed her own art with and discussed pursuits such as ART (Artist Round Table) that she’d developed to help others (myself included) with their own […]

11. The Art of Encouragement |
    July 6, 2013

[…] Sabrina had discussed photography with, discussed her own art with and discussed pursuits such as ART (Artist Round Table) that she’d developed to help others (myself included) with their own art. […]