don’t draw on the wall
There’s less than a week to go before the “10 ways to kill creativity” contest ends on Friday August 6. We’ve noticed that there aren’t that many entries and it has me asking my favourite question: “Why?” Maybe the instructions were unclear or perhaps people always wait until the last minute to enter. Those things are easy enough to deal with but what if the Creativity we had as children really is dead and we just don’t know how to bring it to life? If that’s case, it doesn’t surprise me. I think I will explore this idea in the weeks ahead and for now I’d like to just concentrate on increasing the number of entries in the contest. Enter Andrew. I met him last weekend in Longview but I’ll share more about our encounter in a future post. Today, I want to use this image to illustrate one of things we were told as children that killed our creativity.
Imagine if the artist who created this beautiful mural on the side of the Longview Beef Jerky Store had listened to the person who told him not to draw on the wall. I wouldn’t have this wonderful background of the Rockies for my portrait and we wouldn’t have the 100+ Wyland walls that can be found in 12 countries on 4 continents. And what about graffiti? Here are 50 examples from Smashing Magazine that some consider art.
Although there are already a few entries up on the Flickr page, here are some other ideas you can use to enter the contest. Be creative. Break the rules. Heck, break free.
> Let me do that–you are doing it wrong.
> What’s that supposed to be?
> Color in the lines.
> Don’t play with your food.
> Turn off the lights and go to bed.
Here again are the instructions.
1. Enter an image that reflects one of the ideas above or your own idea of how creativity has been stifled.
2. Your image must be titled with the idea that killed creativity for example “Don’t Draw on the Wall”.
3. The longest side of your image should be at least 740 pixels.
4. Upload your images to the Flickr Group located here.
5. You can enter as many images as you wish before 11:59 PM PST Friday August 6, 2010.
6. The 10 winning images will be announced on Monday August 9, 2010. (Yes you can win more than once!)
If you have any questions about the contest, please feel free to leave a comment here or to send me an email. Ray, Mark and I are looking forward to seeing your images!